News


ITV confirms deal for The Voice

voice_of_1ITV has confirmed it has swooped for The Voice, taking it from the BBC.

The UK commercial broadcaster had been widely rumoured to have wrested the show from the BBC after the UK pubcaster confirmed it had lost the rights, but official confirmation only came through this morning.

ITV will debut its version of the series in 2017 in a deal that runs for three years with the international division of Talpa Media, the Netherlands-based prodco now also controlled by ITV. The agreement also includes provision for two seasons of The Voice Kids.

The network had bitterly criticised public rival the BBC for broadcasting the show, leading the latter to reveal a commercial rival had bought it. The BBC later intimated ITV was that network.

Peter Fincham, director of television at ITV, said: “ITV is the natural home of big entertainment so we are thrilled that The Voice and The Voice Kids are both joining our family alongside brilliant shows like The X Factor, Britain’s Got Talent, Saturday Night Takeaway and I’m A Celebrity…Get Me Out of Here.

John de Mol, Talpa founder and creator of The Voice, said: “We are delighted that The Voice has found a new home at ITV. With the addition of The Voice Kids we are excited about working with ITV in 2017 to develop and expand The Voice experience for the UK audience after completing what we think will be a fantastic upcoming season on the BBC, who have been a great partner.”

The deal throws the future of singing competition format The X Factor on ITV into question, with some observers suggesting it could land with Sky if ITV is unwilling to have two shows in the same genre on its air.