Demand for programming from broadcasters is outweighing cable and SVOD players in Europe, exclusive new stats show.
Data from Parrot Analytics shows original programming from CBS, Fox and ABC was higher than that of HBO, AMC and Netflix in Europe in 2016.
Parrot provided TBI with the exclusive data as MIPTV gets underway today in Cannes, France.
CBS’s programming totalled nearly 140 billion demands across the year, slightly ahead of Fox and ABC (see chart).
The other US broadcasters, The CW and NBC, ranked fifth and sixth respectively, with HBO parked between the networks in fourth,
Parrot industry data scientist Kayla Hegedus noted HBO Europe’s original programming was a key factor in driving up its demand of about 110 billion demands.
Netflix, surprising, dwindled behind the BBC and AMC in ninth, with around 70 billion demands, while Amazon did not register in the top 25 channels and platforms in 2016.
On the production front, Warner Bros. Television produced more in-demand programming than any of its rivals – perhaps not surprising considering it produces several CBS series.
The top eight studios took 15.51% of all demand, with the other 84.49% coming from other producers.
Warner took 4.79%, followed by 20th Century Fox Television (2.63%), ABC Studios (2.3%), HBO (1.77%), CBS Television Studios (1.08%), Sony Pictures Television (1.05%), Universal Television (0.98%) and the BBC (0.9%).
Hegedus noted demand for BBC programming as higher in Europe than elsewhere, but was still behind its American rivals.
A second-part of this report will be released tomorrow. See below for Parrot Analytics demand expressions methodology